Friday, January 19, 2018

My theory on OTF

OTF

I finally made it to an Orange Theory Fitness Class and I am sad.

Sad because I love orange, and OTF is incredible at branding – their promotional materials are on point.

Sad because I wanted to this work so badly, they have class times that are convenient for my schedule; unlike every other gym in the area. *Ranting coming later, *Rant Rebuttal coming even later.

Sad because it appears to be a great environment for competition.

Sad because I am still cold!

So, the honest review; the customer service is amazing, everyone is excited about OTF. I felt comfortable and the sign in was easy. The technology and resources are incredible, the heart rate monitor is a cool addition (more to come) and visually seeing your work level is a perk. The workout equipment is great, the treadmills are more automated, so there is no button mashing; they have a water rower; which for someone who hates rowing was awesome. It’s so smooth.
The workout... I was warned it was the hardest workout in the circuit. Only 9 people had successfully completed it. I went in knowing it would be a struggle, which I love. I anticipated an all out war on my lazy muscles and I was excited. The orientation was well rehearsed and, although a lot of information, I felt ready. But here’s the kicker... my teeth were chattering while I waited for the session to begin. No one had exited the previous class with any amount of sweat on them. I joked about when does it get warm and am told not to worry, in fact they had put on the AC because it was like an oven earlier. 20 minutes in and I had to ditch my sweater, not because I was warm, but because it was too bulky to move in. Goosebumps covered my skin as I tried to get into the movements, rowing, squats, push ups, crunches, burpees and TRX bridge pulls – big stuff and still I was cold. So cold, I was having trouble breathing; the air was dry and cold and burned my lungs.  This forced me to slow down and take breaks, which dropped my heart rate and kept me in the blue warm-up zone (frustrating when you’re supposed to skip through the blue zone to the green zone and land in the Orange zone). 

I am not a super hero who can skip the gym for 3 months and then drop back into a heavy work out and win, but I couldn’t even compete in that environment. I know I could have done more, because today I am not sore or tired... not sure I even got a burn or the promised Orange Theory after burn.
It could have been the workout. It was tough. It could have been me, but nothing got me excited. I actually watched the clock, which is the worst.

The follow-up is very cool... I got an email this morning with my graphs, disappointing as it is; it’s cool to see it.



OTF is on point with their technology, but the workout just wasn’t there for me.
I am not really sure what I am going to do now. They did offer a second trial class, something that is more accented in what they typically do. I am not sure I want to lead them on. I have an Apple Watch that tracks my workouts, gives me graphs and monitors my heart, not sure I need to pay for a second service to accomplish that.

So where do I go from here?

I think I need to reinstate my Goodlife membership and go on my lunch hour, make a plan that includes running, weights and rowing. It’s the only thing I can afford, that doesn’t impact my boys. I need to find that drive to succeed or I am never going to get there.

91 days to go – 24 lbs to go

*Rant: Every gym has class times (I love classes; competition, direction, music!), but they are always done at 6:30 (7:30 at the latest, but even those are mostly reserved for Yoga and stretching). I can’t make it to a 6:30 class, without giving up the precious seconds I get to spend with my boys.  Work, school and life means I spend less than 3 hours a day with my littles and I am not cutting that short to hit the gym. My priorities are in line, they trump all – their cuddles are therapeutic!


*Rant rebuttle: Working out late and getting up early are not a great combination, I was amped when I got home at 10pm and it took 2 hours to come out of clouds and fall asleep. So I get why classes aren’t so late... argh. Being a morning person and a night owl is really cramping my style!

No comments:

Post a Comment